Saturday, June 11, 2011

Medical and other Concerns

As most of us are aware, we as Canadians are incredibly lucky to have the health care system we are blessed with.  The care, compassion, professionalism and speed of service I have received through the Rapid Breast clinic at Mnt. St. Joseph's hospital has been amazing.

In this province of British Columbia, we do pay for medicare - about $60 per month per adult individual if your employer does not have a benefits package paid for you.  The fee is mandatory but the province does provide subsidy for those whose income under a certain bracket, depending on taxes filed for the year previous.  This is called, "Premium Assistance".  Also, we have a program called "Fair Pharmacare" which works in conjunction with assistance through Medical Services Plan which will offer coverage with a small yearly deductible on prescribed drugs that are not covered through MSP.  Apparently, cancer treatment pharmaceuticals are not covered which of course is kind of freaking me out.  Out of work, and unable to pay for treatment drugs.  Not such a nice feeling.

Anyway, MSP also has a program called "Temporary Premium Assistance" for those who out of no foreseeable circumstances are able to achieve an income (for a short period of time) within a category of being able to pay for medical coverage and, Pharmacare also provides a similar program.  This is great news and news that I think many of us do not know about so I wanted to pass it along.  I shall be applying for both in the next couple of weeks.

I had my last shift at the restaurant last night before my "vacation".  Sad that some of us need health reasons to take one.  Although I do have the tendency for overwork and have just come out of a period that I did just that for a couple of years, that comment is actually a bit tongue in cheek.  Ricardo and I had a beautiful 2 week holiday in January through the Yucatan peninsula where I got to sit back and let my Latin love take the reigns.  Anyone who knows me well enough know that I usually do not sit back and let anyone take the reigns but I am getting soft in my old age of 45.

I will be taking off at least a week from the restaurant during which time Ricardo has agreed to be my nursemaid.  Do I get him an outfit?  Tempting.  Poor guy.  I know he is going to go squirrely being unoccupied but maybe that will be excellent motivation for me to get up and move around.  I hope the drugs are good.  Maybe he'll be able to beat me in cribbage.

This weekend will be filled with children and hopefully some time to do some major cooking.  I'm hoping to prepare a couple of soups, a pasta sauce, and perhaps a casserole, although I am also hoping that I won't be very much interested in eating.  I am one of those people when going through stress and crisis think first of all whether or not my pantry is stocked well enough.  I'm going into this one a little "rounder" than I like to be.  My extreme 90 day workout plan with p90x was thwarted.  So much for the bikini body I had planned out.

I have to thank Trena, another of my girls on the "Simone (get well) Team" who offered to stock up on easy meals for me.  How awesome is that!!  I am going to keep that one for when I really need it.

Well, all, have a fabulous weekend!
till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment